The membership of the Massachusetts Institute for Psychoanalysis (MIP) includes MIP candidates in training, students of our post-graduate fellowship programs, MIP graduates of these programs, MIP faculty and supervisors, and members of the greater clinical and academic community with an interest in psychoanalysis.
Membership at MIP is a requirement for candidates, fellows, faculty and supervisors. At MIP we are all part of a learning community. As teacher or student, each person benefits from the professional and educational experience. Membership provides a way for each of us to contribute to the functioning of our shared community.
Benefits of Membership
Membership at MIP opens doors of collegial, academic, and clinical opportunity. Below are some of the many benefits of joining our psychoanalytic community.
- The opportunity to support and participate in a vibrant group of clinicians and thinkers who are dedicated to the mission of comparative psychoanalytic training, theory, practice, teaching, and life-long, professional learning
- Access to a rich array of Saturday morning programs throughout the year with invited national and international speakers and discussants speaking on varied topics in comparative psychoanalysis
- MIP short courses and Saturday programs are free to the public however we charge non-members for CEs. As a MIP member you will receive professional credits free when offered.
- Access to programs and peer groups sponsored by the Academic Outreach Committee, a committee at MIP that supports interdisciplinary engagement of clinical psychoanalysis with other academic fields
- Opportunities to collaborate internationally through seminars and informal gatherings hosted by MIP’s International Connections Committee
- Opportunities to participate on committees and on MIP’s Board of Directors
- Online access to members-only website resources, the referral listserv, the MIPspace listserv (for announcements, professional questions and space rentals).
- Reduced fees for subscriptions to several psychoanalytic journals
Other Membership Information:
MIP membership that is not tied to participation in an academic program is annual and renewed every 365 days. Please see the membership categories below for more information.
Professional Membership – $595
MIP’s main membership rate to acknowledge increasing MIP benefits and associate membership with value.
Sustaining Membership – $995
A membership level for those who wish to do more to support MIP, support MIP members who require hardship waivers, and support MIP scholarships.
Early Career Membership – $395
Membership rate for those who self-identify as early-career clinicians who have been in their field for 5 years or fewer.
Fellowship Graduate Membership – $195
For those who have completed the Postgraduate Fellowship Program (in Cambridge or Amherst) or the Stechler Child and Adolescent Therapy Fellowship but have not gone on to analytic training.
Outside of Metro Boston Membership – $195
For standard members who live and work more than 35 miles from Boston, MA with an acknowledgment that they are less likely to attend in-person MIP programs or events.
Retiree Membership – $195
MIP values the continued support of our most senior members. If you are able to continue your support in the category of professional member or sustaining member we are most grateful. But, in addition we are offering a retired membership level of $195 for those who are no longer in private practice but want to continue their involvement with MIP.
If the membership dues represent a hardship, please contact the Membership Chair for an alternative financial arrangement.