The Massachusetts Institute for Psychoanalysis has worked to cultivate relationships with the broader academic community in recent years. The Academic Outreach Committee is tasked with developing points of contact and growing relationships between analysts and the broad world of academia (e.g., politics, philosophy, literature, linguistics, etc.). We offer study groups, courses, and programs designed to bring analysts and academics together to learn from each other and to stimulate interdisciplinary thinking.
Sample recent or current Academic Outreach Programs include the following:
- Program on race and racism in clinic and culture, co-sponsored with Simmons College and with the Psychosocial Work Group of the Psychology and the Other Institute
- 3 interdisciplinary study groups devoted to examining the topic of shame
- 3 workshops on poetry and psychoanalysis, co-led by Anna Ornstein (analyst) and Dawn Skorczewski (English professor)
- Program with Donald Antrim, MacArthur Fellow and novelist
- Post-play discussion by MIP’s Lisa Slater for Company One’s most recent play, Dry Land